I wholeheartedly recommend M.S. Wordsmith. It’s not just that Mariëlle provides good and efficient editing within the academic sphere. I find it particularly pleasant that she is respectful in regards to the texts, and the thoughts and desires of her customers. She’s able to be empathetic and deliver relevant critical comments at the same time.
Yolanda van Tilborgh
In editing, we differentiate between content or developmental editing (a substantive edit of the content of the work), copy and line editing (an intensive edit of the language and grammar of the work to make the text more clear and flow better) and proofreading (the final check before the work is ready). The best way to describe what I call ‘academic editing’ is somewhere between the last two. I will make sure your text is ready for publication, but I will also look at how your text is written. Is the tone correct and the quality of language up to level for an academic publication?
Since I, both as freelancer and Editor-in-Chief of the bilingual Dutch academic Journal for Gender Studies, tend to work with non-native speakers of English, I will convert spellings, vocabulary, and punctuation to make the text more consistently British or American. I will also rid the text of ‘bad’ phrasing due to the language parameters of the author’s native tongue, idioms translated directly, and other idiosyncrasies.
I edit academic pieces written in English: bachelor and master theses, dissertations, articles for publication, grant proposals, et cetera. I also provide academic language coaching for those writers who want to actively improve their academic writing skills.
- Academic editing: This option includes all of the above plus a grammar, spelling, and punctuation check, i.e. a proofreading.
- Content edit: This option includes a substantive edit of the text as a whole, including internal paragraph structures, the way arguments are built, and the flow of the text. This option does not include any language editing.
All rates are based on the amount of work required and the time available to complete the project. If you would like to know more or receive a price quote, please email me at email@example.com.
Bachelor and Master students
For Bachelor and Master students, I have a special discount rate. For more information on this, please email me at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please note there are still universities who have extra money for research expenses or language proficiency. Often, this includes having your thesis edited. For more information, contact your department.
If you would like to work with me
- Please send me an email at email@example.com with your name, the page or word count, and when you prefer the work to be completed. Please include a sample of your text, or the work as a whole, so I can check the quality of writing.
- After receiving your email, I will reply with a price quote and an estimate of how long the project will take me.
- If you are happy with my offer, please send your work if you have not already done so.
- Depending on the quoted total, an advance might need to be paid before I start working on the project. In that case, we will first discuss how you would prefer to pay and I will either send you a PayPal invoice or an invoice with details on how to make a direct deposit into my bank account. Once payment has cleared, I will begin working on the project.
Please note: by agreeing to the quote, you are agreeing to the terms & conditions.