Clients must agree to the terms and conditions set out below in order to hire Mariëlle S. Smith of M.S. Wordsmith unless prior agreements have been made. By agreeing to the quoted price of service(s), the client is agreeing to these terms and conditions.
I reserve the right to refuse projects I consider myself unsuited for; that I consider offensive (work that, for example, incites hatred, abuse, or illegal activity); that is found to be plagiarised; or that suffers from issues of quality that, in my judgement, would hinder the success of the project.
In hiring me, you are agreeing that I will carry out the agreed service(s) according to the following definitions:
- Mentoring: Sessions provided to get the writing process back on track. This is not a writing or editing service, but one of support and guidance.
- Developmental editing: The developing of plot, character arcs, setting, symbolism, and themes in order to reach a scene-by-scene outline. This does not include character analysis.
- Character analysis: A critical analysis of the story’s characters, their arcs, and their interaction with other characters. This does not include developmental editing.
- Critiquing: General comments and advice on story structure, characters, and development. This does not include developmental editing or character analysis.
- Academic editing: The making ready of an academic text for publication, including a check of the tone and quality of writing. Academic editing includes localising (converting a text from US English to UK English or vice versa and clearing the text of non-English phrasing).
- Academic language coaching: The in-depth assessment of the tone, quality, and structure of academic work and tailor-made advice on how these can be improved. This is not an editing service.
- Translation: The translation of a Dutch-written piece of writing to British English or American English. A translation includes a proofread, but excludes copy/line editing.
Deadlines are to be agreed upon prior to the commencement of a project. I reserve the right to alter the deadline if the client wishes to make amendments to the agreed project work. I also reserve the right to alter the deadline in the case of illness or emergency, and will inform the client as soon as possible.
Costs, invoicing, and payment
All commissioned projects must be paid for in advance, except when the quoted total exceeds €250, in which case half of the quoted amount must be paid prior to the commencement of work. The other half is to be paid within 14 days of receipt of the second invoice.
If the client makes a request to alter the agreed services or deadlines, further costs may be incurred. These will be agreed upon prior to making any changes to the previously agreed work. Once costs are agreed, they are non-negotiable, and the client has no right to refuse to pay the costs in full and on time.
In the event that the client decides to terminate the project prior to its completion, I reserve the right to retain the fees paid for the work completed and invoice any unpaid work that has been completed.
If the final invoice is not paid in full within 14 days, under the terms of the Dutch Extrajudicial Collection Costs Act 2012, I reserve the right to charge collection costs (up to 15% of the total invoice), and to refuse to undertake further work, including any work in progress, until all debts are paid in full. I will undertake legal proceedings and engage the services of debt recovery agents if needed. Prior warning will be given, as this is a last resort.
Details on any special offers well be set out in the description of the specific offer and the specific terms and conditions for that offer. Please note that the standard terms and conditions apply in respect to any projects commissioned using a special offer. The special offer will expire on the date specified on the specific terms relating to the special offer. The special offer cannot be used after this date, unless I could not take on the project in time.
I reserve the right to amend these terms and conditions, notifying clients accordingly.