We might no longer be doing the Doing Diversity in Writing podcast, but that doesn’t make the episodes we produced any less relevant. If you haven’t listened to the three seasons we put out yet, here’s your chance.
You can find the Doing Diversity in Writing podcast here or wherever you listen to your favourite podcasts. The full show notes and list of resources mentioned in this episode can be found here.
In this episode of Doing Diversity in Writing, we explained why it is so important to have a conversation about diversity and representation in fiction.
Here are some of the topics that came up:
- the fact some characters are overrepresented while others are severely underrepresented in fiction
- positive, and less positive, examples from our childhood and adult reading
- Mariëlle’s #ownvoices project My Voice, My Story
- some of the reasons our literary canon is the way it is, even though things are slowly changing
- how representing diverse characters is not just about quantity, it’s also about the quality of those representations